Pesto Tuna Salad
Garlicky pesto lends big flavor to this creamy tuna salad while keeping the ingredients to a minimum. And while most tuna salads rely on mayo, this one calls upon tangy Greek yogurt, which also helps double down on the protein. A big squeeze of lemon juice ties it together while a handful of diced shallot delivers crunch. It’s as quick as it is versatile: Tuck it inside a sandwich or wrap, spoon it on top of salad greens, scoop it up with crackers or crostini or serve it alongside juicy tomato slices.
Yield: 2 to 4 servings
1 medium shallot or ½ small red onion, finely diced
3 (5- to 7-ounce) cans or jars tuna (preferably oil-packed), well drained
⅓ cup basil pesto, store-bought or homemade
⅓ cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Salt and black pepper
Put the shallot in a small fine mesh strainer and rinse under cool water for 10 seconds to make it less potent. Drain well then transfer to a large bowl.
Add the tuna, pesto, yogurt and lemon juice. Stir well with a fork to break up the tuna and combine. Season with salt and pepper. The tuna salad can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
TIP: I made this for lunch for two people. Used only one can of Genoa brand tuna from Costco, one tbsp Costco pesto, 2 tbsps full fat Greek yogurt and the juice of half large lemon. I added 5 chopped Kalamata olives because I'm Greek and Greek tweak most NYTimes excellent recipes. It was divine and greatly appreciated in this heat!!!!
I made it as written but omitted the lemon juice because I didn't have a lemon (how did that happen!). Delicious! We found the flavors quite subtle. Can't wait to have the leftovers tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment